Slow Fashion

I am always open to sharing my methods and process of making garments.  So here are some photos from the process of making one of Xsilk shirt.

Silk needs to be washed first before it can be dyed or  painted.
This is done in small batches ensure delicate silk is not damaged. 

Then it is dip dyed using water, salt, soda ash/vinegar and non-toxic dyes  in small batches.

It is air dried in indirect light.

Dyed silk is sewn into a shirt shape.

It is painted with silk dye.  Painted silk is cured for at least 2 days,
then slow steamed for 2-3 hours in a silk steamer.

Shirt is washed again to remove any excess dyes.
PH balanced , eco-friendly detergent is used.

Finishing details and final sewing are done after all dyes are completely stable.  Now it's ready to be worn.

The term "slow fashion" is a contradiction in itself.  Trend changes every season.  Yet I strive to create a garment that can be worn for a long time.  As a designer, there always are temptations to produce in greater number of on-trend garments.  That means hiring others to divide ever growing tasks and responsibilities, and it also means hiring oversea factories to mass produce.  
For me, a hand crafted garment means the direct connection between the wearer and the hands of maker.  There are enough mass produced garments which can be discarded after the trend passes and I do not feel the need to add to that paradigm.  
As with all of my wardrobe, my favorite pieces are ones that make me feel good, ones that share memories with me.  More care and the time I spend in a garment, the more endearing it becomes to me.  And I hope to make that kind of garments for others.  

Comments

Popular Posts